Wednesday, March 17, 2021

Yolk by Mary H.K. Choi

 


Goodreads Blurb: 
Jayne Baek is barely getting by. She shuffles through fashion school, saddled with a deadbeat boyfriend, clout-chasing friends, and a wretched eating disorder that she’s not fully ready to confront. But that’s New York City, right? At least she isn’t in Texas anymore, and is finally living in a city that feels right for her.

On the other hand, her sister June is dazzlingly rich with a high-flying finance job and a massive apartment. Unlike Jayne, June has never struggled a day in her life. Until she’s diagnosed with uterine cancer.

Suddenly, these estranged sisters who have nothing in common are living together. Because sisterly obligations are kind of important when one of you is dying.



Things I liked: 
1) Jayne- I did think she was pretty hard on herself. She kept comparing herself to other people. By the end of the book for me she got her stuff together. She really grew as a character.

2)  I really loved the relationship between the sisters. They are living such different lives but when it comes down to it they are always supportive of each other.

3) The Texas references-  I live in Texas and I absolutely could relate to all the things that were mentioned. 

4) The Korean representation- I have always been fascinated with Asian culture. It was crazy to see how many things I new in this book. Especially food wise!


Things I was not a fan of:

1) Jeremy- I don't know why this guy was in this book. Worst character in so many ways.

2) What was that ending? I'm literally still thinking about it!


My rating: ❤️❤️❤️❤️


* I did receive this book for free from Netgalley, in exchange for a review*


No comments:

Post a Comment