Monday, September 21, 2015

Lies Beneath by Anne Greenwood Brown



From Goodreads:

Calder White lives in the cold, clear waters of Lake Superior, the only brother in a family of murderous mermaids. To survive, Calder and his sisters prey on humans and absorb their positive energy. Usually, they select their victims at random, but this time around, the underwater clan chooses its target for a reason: revenge. They want to kill Jason Hancock, the man they blame for their mother's death.

It's going to take a concerted effort to lure the aquaphobic Hancock onto the water. Calder's job is to gain Hancock's trust by getting close to his family. Relying on his irresistible good looks and charm, Calder sets out to seduce Hancock's daughter Lily. Easy enough, but Calder screws everything up by falling in love - just as Lily starts to suspect there's more to the monster-in-the-lake legends than she ever imagined, and just as the mermaids threaten to take matters into their own hands, forcing Calder to choose between them and the girl he loves.

My Review:

This was my second mermaid read. I read this one after Of Poseidon and dang this was a far jump from that book.

Things I liked:

1) Calder- One of the love to hate characters but you just can't help but love him.

2) Lily- I felt so bad for her in the beginning. I really enjoyed her as a character. 

3) The writing- I loved the way this was written. The book is so short but so much happens that you never had time to be bored and it really made you want to read the second book so much more.

4) The Plot- I like how this was a different spin on mermaids. I won't give away what I mean but you should just read it to find out :)

Things I was not fond of:

1) The ending. It was not a cliff hanger or anything which is nice but I feel like it just ended without warning. I was not that unsatisfied by the ending because I still gave the book a great rating but I just wish the ending was something more.(If that even makes sense to anyone)

My rating: ♥♥♥♥♥



2 comments:

  1. Oh YAY Lies Beneath. I read this series last year and loved it. I think the third book was my personal favourite. I loved the conclusion to the series. :)

    Sarah @ The Reading Petal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am intrigued to know what happens. I still need to second and third book but can't wait to continue. Thanks for visiting :)

      Delete