Tuesday, January 27, 2015

The Day We Met by Rowan Coleman



*I received this book from Edelweiss for free to review.*


This story follows Claire, a woman who has the early stages of Alzheimer's. Claire and her mother have dealt with this disease before since her father had it as well. This story tells how this disease progresses and how all the family members are affected. One day Claire's husband gets a notebook that he calls the Memory Book for the whole family to write down memories of Claire.

Let me just say that this story for me was heart wrenching. I myself know no one with this disease but reading this made me prepared in away. I loved the way Rowan Coleman wrote this book. It was written in such an amazing way that kept you captured during the whole story.

What I liked:
1) The book is told in all 4 family members perspectives. Esther is only 3 so she isn't included.
2) Claire. Most of this book I felt bad for her. She just got remarried, had a daughter and not long after she started showing signs. That broke my heart. Through all that she was still an excellent mother. 
3) Caitlin, the 20 year old daughter. She had so many issues throughout this story but in the end made sure she did what was best.
4) Esther. Even thought I felt bad for her since she was loosing her mother at such a young age. I still loved the innocence of her. She was very naive and didn't understand why her Mom was not able to do some things.
5) Gran. How can you not love her? The tell it like it is character that I loved reading about.
6) Finally I loved the Memory Book entries. This gave insight on how Claire was before she got Alzheimer's. 

My rating: ♥♥♥♥♥




No comments:

Post a Comment