Monday, February 9, 2015

The Future of Us by Jay Asher & Carolyn Mackler


This book is about Emma and Josh, who are best friends in 1996. Josh has feelings for Emma, which he acted on but it didn't go like he had hoped. This is before all of our social networking websites and everything.There was not much in the technology sense either as they still had walk-mans instead of I pods or mp 3 players. One day Josh brings Emma a AOL CD-ROM. When Emma downloads AOL onto her computer she gets a website called Facebook. Both of them are perplexed as to what this is but immediately try to figure it out. They see themselves 15 years into the future. So of course they are curious.

What I liked:
1) Josh- Although I found him to be kind of dorky and awkward. I still really enjoyed his personality and how he did not hold a grudge over Emma like I feel like most guys would today in his situation. He didn't really want to know much about what was going to happen in 15 years like Emma but still was there when she asked him to be for moral support.
2) Emma- At first I was not happy with her. I felt like she was just selfish and didn't really care about Josh's feelings for most of the book. Halfway through the book I felt like she changed because she started realizing somethings.
3) Kellan- What an awesome best friend. She was just so cool and I really wanted to be friends with her! 

Things I was not fond of:
1) Sydney- I do not think her intentions were real. I felt as though she kind of used Josh knowing he liked her, which did not make me very happy.

Overall I really enjoyed the writing of this book. It was funny to see how people see Facebook in that time. Nowadays we are so into it but it was funny to have teens question why we write all of our lives on Facebook. I loved the way Jay Asher and Carolyn Mackler write. I'm assuming each wrote the character for there genders, which I quite liked. I would definitely recommend this book if you are looking for a funny light-hearted read.

My rating: ♥♥♥♥♥






No comments:

Post a Comment