Sunday, May 31, 2015

Soulspark by Eliza Tilton



From Goodreads: 
Dealing with the loss of her mother, seventeen-year-old Jessica Stone tries to find an escape from the pain by secretly medicating herself with Xanax, but the anxiety increases, crushing her and her grades.

Then she meets Caleb Jonas, the pastor’s son at her mother’s church. Between his cute dimples and love of fast cars, Jessica is completely smitten, and the feeling is mutual. But dating a Christian boy isn’t easy. He doesn’t party, and he never goes past first base. Jessica struggles with his faith, since it makes her question her own, but for the first time since her mother’s death, she can breathe. Life is finally shifting into a state of happiness.

But that happiness shatters when Jessica catches Caleb kissing her ex-best friend—and step-brother’s girlfriend—Rachel, the girl who used to be like her sister, and the same girl who betrayed her once before.

While her stepbrother hints at a deeper connection between the two, Caleb insists it was a one-time mistake and begs forgiveness. With contradicting stories coming at her, Jessica isn’t sure who to believe, but sometimes the truth is better left undiscovered and she’s about to find out why.
 


My Review: 
When I first read the synopsis of this book I was thinking this would be a contemporary book but for me it was so much more than that.

Things I liked: 

1) Jessica-  I found myself connecting to her right away. I felt sorry for her. They way she deals with her moms death was not ideal but I got why it happened.

2) Caleb- At times this guy was not my favorite but he redeemed himself. I overall loved the way he treated Jessica. He helped her in a lot of ways as well.

3) Rachel- So this character was the one that you were meant to hate. I didn't actually hate her. I felt sorry for her most of the time.

4) The writing is so beautiful. It took me less than 1 day to read this book because of the writing. I thought the writing was addicting and I had to know what what going to happen.

5) Ray- I loved the relationship between him and Jessica. He is her stepdad but he treated her and cared for her like she was his own daughter.

Things I was not fond of:

1) Jason- No surprise here if you have read this book. He was a jerk and just dumb!


I really enjoyed this book a lot. The one thing I had a problem did not affect the rating for me because I liked the rest of the book so much more and could over look that. I am excited to see what else this author writes and will definitely check out her other books.

My rating: ♥♥♥♥♥

*I received this from the author on a read and review basis*




1 comment:

  1. This book sounds awesome! I really appreciate books that keep the characters real and all that jazz. I think I'll give it a shot this summer :) Great review!

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete